ST. JOHN'S LODGE # 4 A.F. & A.M.

Save

History

Interesting Notes

Taken from the minutes of St. John's # 4. The oldest existing organization of any kind in Kinston. St. John's # 4 is Two years older than the City of Kinston. Below you find some important dates about our lodge.

Dates

1760: St. John's Lodge chartered by the Duke of Beaufort, Grand Master of England, under the reign of King George III.

1787: Representatives from Kinston at the formation of the Grand Lodge of North Carolina in Tarboro included Richard Caswell, James Glasgow and William Randell. Caswell was elected Deputy Grand Master.

1787: St. John's Lodge chartered by Grand Lodge of North Carolina, Dec 6th.

1791: On June 24 at New Bern, St. John's Lodge of Kinston was given the number 4.

1837: S. H.  Rountree, Sr., an outstanding Mason,  represented St. John's # 4 in the Grand Lodge for 53 years without missing a meeting.

1885: On February 28, a note was made that the minutes from 1846 to 1895 had been lost in a fire which destroyed some of St. John's books and records, jewels and furniture.

1905: The cornerstone of the Robert Bruce McDaniel Memorial Hospital was laid by the  Grand Lodge. This is the present Parrott Memorial Hospital building.

1906: The By Laws were changed to prohibit the use of tobacco (either chewing or smoking) during opening and closing the Lodge.

1907: The existing furniture of our Lodge, which was handmade, was designed by Brother C. L. Pridge and by Sam Pate around 1907.

1912:On July 8, the Lodge voted to rent second floor of a building being built by Fred I. Sutton for $250.00 per year.  W. Brother Claude Pridgen installed as Grand Master of Masons in North Carolina.

1917: Worshipful Brother Claude Pridgen was installed as Grand Master of Masons in North Carolina.

1928: Our gavel and base, were made from the first battleship, the U.S.S. Constitution, and presented to the Lodge on January 14, 1928 by W.P. Smithwick of Lenoir Lodge (La Grange).

1964: Present Lodge building dedicated on November, 2